Montana Controls is a full service automation solution. Serving industrial, commercial, and residential customers, our goal is to make sure that your processes, buildings, or home operates with the utmost of ease and efficiency. From Implementation to training, we can handle all aspects of your manufacturing system, assembly, or industrial processes.
First ask yourself what is automation? In many cases automation is the use of machinery such as computer processors, robots, sensors, automatic valves, pressure instruments and more to minimize the need for human interaction in a manufacturing process. Many may argue that automation is an alternative to the use of humans to get something done. Inevitably, this would reduce the availability of jobs in a particular market where full automation is becoming more economical for the business owner(s). This may be true in some instances, but often the choice to automate a process allows for job advancement opportunities and training for the operation and maintenance of automated systems. Just as common as automation being implemented to replace people, automation is used to help technicians perform a task that they otherwise would be unable to complete do to limitations such as speed, precision, or safety hazards. Automation systems are capable of making thousands of calculations in small periods of time to adjust to different environments and variables that may take a typical technician or operator hours to preform. These delays and potential mistakes sometimes result in faulted processes and loss of revenue.
So back to the original question. Why automate?
- Safety – With companies focusing first and foremost on the safety of their employs, they are constantly looking for ways to increase operational safety. Automated systems offer uncountable ways to ensure operator safety. From light curtains to gas monitor interlocks and more, If you can identify a safety concern it can be mitigated through automation.
- Productivity – Any well planned investment in production automation will pay for itself in a reasonable amount of time. At any point in your process the removal of the need for human interaction will speed up operation and reduce the occurrence of mistakes. In this instance, a business see reductions associated with hiring employees including wages, benefits, insurance, and holidays. This also allows processes to run 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Quality – The quality and repeat-ability in products manufactured using automated processes is unsurpassed by human manufacturing processes. Machine Uniformity and absence of fatigue allow for products to be manufactured with precision and speed.
- Changeability – Assuming a process changes periodically due to availability of parts, design revisions, etc., training employees to perform updated tasks can be time consuming and expensive. Automation systems can be changed quickly and easily to accommodate changes in manufacturing processes. Sometimes changes in the process can be engineered right along side the engineering of the part revision allowing for seamless updates with minimal downtime.
- Tractability – Your automated system can be integrated with any data acquisition system inducing asset control systems, inventory systems, and accounting systems. Data acquisition can be used to observe operator actions, and process performance. Algorithms can be set up to monitor and find ways to tune and your process, continuously making it more efficient.
For more information about automation or if you have any reason for thinking that automating may be the right choice for you, feel free to contact us for a free audit of your system. We can provide you with a long or short term plan to tackle your production challenges.